This tempeh crouton recipe is easy to make ahead. You can use tempeh croutons to give a crunchy protein boost to your favourite salads, soups, or bowls (and more). Gluten free, rich in fiber and protein, these vegan tempeh croutons are a nutritious alternative to a classic salad staple.
- your preferred type of steamer
- baking tray and parchment paper
- 1 block (250g) Henry's Tempeh (You can use any flavour you'd like.)
- 2 tbsp high-heat oil (Coconut, MCT, avocado, and canola work well.)
- Sea salt (to taste)
- freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Steam the tempeh for 10 minutes (use your preferred type of steamer)
- Allow the tempeh to cool to the touch, about 3-5 minutes. While you are waiting, preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Cut the tempeh into 1'' cubes. For smaller croutons, cut into 1/2'' cubes (or in other words, a grid of 8×8).
- Toss the tempeh cubes in the oil. If you are using coconut oil, melt it before using.
- Place tempeh on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until nice and crispy.