This tempeh crouton recipe is easy to make ahead. You can use tempeh croutons to give a crunchy protein boost to any of your favourite salads, soups, or bowls (and more).
Look for our four flavours of tempeh in the refrigerated section of the grocery store: Original, Kasha, Red Pepper, and Basil. You can use any flavour in this recipe.
- your preferred type of steamer
- baking tray and parchment paper
- 1 block (250g) Henry's Tempeh (You can use any flavour you'd like.)
- 2 tbsp high-heat oil (Coconut, MCT, avocado, and canola work well.)
- Sea salt (to taste)
- freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Steam the tempeh for 10 minutes (use your preferred type of steamer)
- Allow the tempeh to cool to the touch, about 3-5 minutes. While you are waiting, preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Cut the tempeh into 1'' cubes. For smaller croutons, cut into 1/2'' cubes (or in other words, a grid of 8×8).
- Toss the tempeh cubes in the oil. If you are using coconut oil, melt it before using.
- Place tempeh on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until nice and crispy.
Pro tips from our in-house registered dietitian: If you are trying to eat less salt you can flavour the croutons with dried herbs and spices. Try curry powder, smoked paprika, anything that you like! You can even add ½ tsp of turmeric and some generous grinds of pepper directly to the cooking oil to infuse the croutons with tons of flavour. Once they’re done cooking and have cooled slightly, blot the croutons with paper towel to remove excess oil.