This recipe is among one of our favourites here at Henry’s Tempeh and we recommend it with either Taco Shells or Tortillas. Tempeh works extremely well as a ground-beef replacement and is commonly used as such in Tacos, but one can apply this recipe to other dishes as desired. And don’t forget, how you eat Tacos is part of the tradition!
Henry’s Tempeh Tacos
- a wok or skillet
- 1 Package Henry's Soy Original Tempeh (250g)
- 1 large clove of garlic minced
- Oil for frying
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp lime juice or juice of half a lime
- 1 tsp chili powder or to taste
- 1 tsp chipotle peppers (Optional)
- Cut the block of tempeh into 4-6 pieces
- Steam or poach the tempeh for 5 – 10 minutes (to poach, simmer tempeh in just enough water to cover), then remove from hot water and set aside.
- Wait for the tempeh to cool and then crumble with your hands into a bowl.
- In a wok or skillet, heat 2-3 tbsps of oil. When the oil is hot, add crumbled tempeh and minced garlic. Stir-fry on medium heat, stirring occasionally until the tempeh is golden-brown but not burnt.
- While the tempeh is stir-frying, add all marinade ingredients to a bowl and whisk until they are well mixed.
- Add the marinade to the wok or skillet, stirring to coat the tempeh. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the tempeh is well coated. **If you find that the tempeh is sticking, add 1-2 tbsp water to the wok and stir to help deglaze.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve in taco shells or tortillas with your choice of fresh greens, avocado, cilantro, salsa and sour cream.