This recipe is among one of our favourites here at Henry’s Tempeh and we recommend it with either Taco Shells or Tortillas. Tempeh works extremely well as a ground-beef replacement and is commonly used as such in Tacos, but one can apply this recipe to other dishes as desired. And don’t forget, how you eat Tacos is part of the tradition!
1 package of Henry’s Soy Original Tempeh (250 g)
1 large clove garlic, minced
Oil for frying
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp tamari
2 tsp tomato paste
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp oregano
Juice of half a lime
1 tsp chilli powder or to taste
1 tsp chipotle peppers (canned, in adobo sauce) or to taste, minced ¬(optional)
- Cut the block of tempeh into 4-6 pieces.
- Steam or poach for 2-3 minutes (to poach, simmer tempeh in just enough water to cover), and then remove from hot water and set aside.
- Wait for tempeh to cool, and then crumble with your hands into a bowl.
- In a wok or skillet, heat 2-3 tbsps of oil. When hot, add crumbled tempeh and minced garlic. Stir-fry on medium heat, stirring occasionally, till tempeh is golden-brown but not burnt.
- While tempeh is stir-frying, add all marinade ingredients to a bowl, and stir or whisk till they are well mixed.
- Add seasoning mix to the wok, stir to coat the tempeh, cook for 1-2 minutes till tempeh is well coated and seasoning is aromatic.
- Add 1-2 tbsps of water to the wok if tempeh is sticking and stir to deglaze any sticky bits. Remove from heat.
- Serve in taco shells or tortillas with your choice of fresh greens, avocado, cilantro, salsa and sour cream.